Are you passionate about making a big impact to address the challenge of climate change? Building Transparency's mission is to provide the open access data and tools necessary to enable broad and swift action across the building industry in addressing embodied carbon’s role in climate change.
We are looking for a leading expert to drive Building Transparency's background data and assessment methods, both for use within the Embodied Carbon in Construction Calculator (EC3) tool and to influence practice of EPD and LCA data development for greater transparency, comparability, and usefulness in making procurement decisions. Given the urgency of action on embodied carbon (roughly 11% of world emissions) the position is likely to be high intensity and present substantial opportunities for professional growth.
- Develop sophisticated data quality assessment methodology in collaboration with the EC3 tool team and core stakeholders
- Document methodology and present in verbal, written and graphic formats.
- Collaborate with internal and external project partners.
- Advocate for improved, rigorous data standards to PCR committees and external organizations
Duties & Responsibilities:
- 20% Develop sophisticated data quality assessment methodology
- 50% Conduct research and development to support open access embodied carbon and LCA data
- 10% Present and publicize data methodologies to stakeholders and interested groups
- 10% Advocate for improved, rigorous data standards with external organizations
- 10% Project management and development
- Advance the quality and reliability of embodied carbon and LCA data, and data quality assessment methodology.
- Develop and execute strategy to improve embodied carbon data quality and quantity within the EC3 tool and other aligned initiatives.
- Engage with stakeholders, EC3 staff, partners, sponsors and board members to advance the mission of Buiding Transparency.
Required Experience: 6-8 years of experience, post college degree, in the following:
- Professional experience performing impact analysis of commercial products, preferably in the form of Environmental Product Declarations and underlying life cycle analysis, preferably in the construction sector.
- Understanding of principles and application in practice of LCA standards including ISO 29130, 14044, 14040 and EN 15804
- Use of Life Cycle Assessment software (Gabi or SimaPro) to conduct life cycle assessments of commercial products
- Firm grounding in chemistry and statistics as they pertain to the manufacture of carbon-intensive products
- Ability to collaborate with diverse industry groups
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to analyze and visualize data using tools such as Excel, Tableau and/or other database systems
- Familiarity with building/construction industry
- Project management experience including management/mentorship of staff
- Programming, advanced statistics, and/or data analytics
- Advanced degree